My medical adventure went well

I was lightly sedated, which meant I was conscious throughout. If you could call it that. The whole thing had a distant quality to it. There was a big-screen TV in sight across the room, and I watched the procedure on that.

I’ve heard other people describe similar experiences as being like they were happening to someone else. For me, it was more like I was watching a moderately interesting but very confusing and complicated bit of repair work being done on my car, while I drifted in and out of sleep. As I describe it now, I realize I must have been more out of it than I thought at the time. I thought I was alert. But if I’d been alert, I’d have found the procedure much more interesting – and distressing! – than I actually did.

I remember asking questions. I remember one or two were answered. I remember asking other questions which were ignored. I suspect I only thought I was speaking at that point.

I was in the hospital at noon and home by 5. The doctor apparently used a sandblaster on my insides – or something like that – I’m a bit unsure of the details – because he vetoed my dreams of a hearty dinner. Instead, he said I need to give my gut a chance to recover, which means more clear liquid diet plus Ensure today, an opaque liquid diet tomorrow, soft foods Wednesday, and then back to normal eating Thursday. Oh, well. Thursday is pizza night at our house anyway, so I have that to look forward to.

We stopped off at the pharmacy on the way home to pick up some Ensure. Julie insisted I wait in the car because I kept insisting that I was fine to walk but apparently I was pretty wobbly in real life. I didn’t have the energy to put up a fight. I waited for her in the car.

I got home, pounded down an Ensure and an apple juice like a 24-year-old financial analyst doing Jaeger shots, took a nap with Minnie on the day  bed, and woke up much restored. Had more Ensure for dinner, because I appreciate wild living. Tomorrow I’ll mix up a batch of Soylent and that will be my food for the day. I expect to be back to work mid-day Tuesday.

Oh, yeah, I can have tea again on Tuesday. OMG, tea! I’ve been taking caffeine pills today and yesterday to avoid headaches and such, which is just said.

Grateful for Julie and my health, good healthcare, and the support of all of you, my friends and family, to get through what turned out to be a nearly trivial incident. Grateful for that too.

Now here’s an animated GIF of a monkey clapping cymbals together, because we’ve had a difficult day and we deserve it.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.