27 thoughts on “How millennials should deal with baby boomers at work

1. William Terdoslavich

I think this disparity is overblown. Everybody wants meaningful work with some degree of autonomy, followed by constructive criticism.

2. Susan Shwartz

I have been known to get my phone into a muddle and cry “is there a millennial in the house?” Usually they can’t fix it either because I am pretty good with this gadget and they sigh and wish their parents were. Then I offer to whack them. Humor usually works.

3. Robin Miller

I’m now working for a woman who is only 2 years older than my oldest daughter. I’m writing about her company’s leading-edge Big Data technology, and learning a lot of new stuff as fast as I can. This is WAY beyond the level of using a smartphone. Hey! She gets 30+ years of writing and editing experience not only on her company’s not-yet-launched blog, but also to copy edit and improve writing done by her young hotshot Russian engineers. We’re all fine with this arrangement!

4. Mitch Wagner

I work with a few millennials. They’re smart, hard-working, fierce, pleasant to work with, and eager to learn.

I think of that whenever I read articles about how entitled and lazy millennials supposedly are.

I’m sure they have their share of entitled slackers, but not that I see.

5. William Terdoslavich

When boomers had long hair and went to Woodstock, they, too, were entitled, lazy slackers.

Then they grew up, got haircuts and real jobs, and voted in Reagan.

6. Carol Wilson

Sorry, as a boomer, I take no responsibility for Reagan. But as the mother of two millennials, I find them and their friends to be hard-working types who only act entitled around their parents.

1. William Terdoslavich

Neither do I. But the guy got a majority in nearly every demographic and carried 48 out of 50 states first time around.

7. Ronald Gordon

How should Boomers respond when it’s the Millennials who don’t understand social media? The older workers in my office have taken to social media like ducks to water. The Millennials, not so much.

8. Gary Stock

Claiming boomers “can’t quite grasp the problem with so-called microaggressions,” in an article built entirely from microaggressions? If that was a stab at irony, it failed miserably.

1. William Terdoslavich

The aggression problem has been resolved. So we now have micro-aggressions. Once we solve that, we’ll move on to nano-aggressions.

9. Pete Pettingill

How’d this happen? I was 28, a year on the job, and looking at the “old” guys. They were younger than I am now. I’m 58 and 31 years with the same company. Very cognizant of my “elder statesman” status. I love the 20-30 somethings. But I am glad I am in the endgame

10. Susan Shwartz

That level of coldness is contributing to the level of pressure and sheer misery in the workplace. Some people do it on purpose. Personally, I think they keep raising the bar. If there’s no bar to be raised, they sequester information and change the language. You an only do the best you can do, and if they are determined to block you, you can probably not do that. Then you get the self help stuff about giving away your power do you get to blame yourself too. Want to prepare for the world of work these days? Read Clausewitz.

11. Michael A. Armstrong

I was joking the other day that I should teach Boomer Pop Culture so Millennials would understand their parents and older coworkers. This idea came about after I had to explain to my Millennial coworker why I called her bog exercise ball “Rover.” I emailed her a link from Wikipedia.

12. Susan Shwartz

Would they care? The one thing we make sure our interns know is9/11. Many are from industry families so that’s okay, but the foreign students and the people coming into the industry do have to know that because of PTSD.